Sunday, May 13, 2007

Sunday Music: Chess

Starting Tuesday, the 2007 Frank Berry U.S. Chess Championship starts in Stillwater, Oklahoma. In honor of the U.S. Chess Championship coming to Oklahoma, here are some songs from the rock opera Chess.

From Wikipedia:

Chess is a musical with lyrics by Tim Rice and music by Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson, formerly of ABBA. The story involves a romantic triangle between two players in a world chess championship, and a woman who manages one and falls in love with the other. Although the protagonists were not intended to represent any specific individuals, the characters’ personalities are loosely based on those of Victor Korchnoi and Bobby Fischer.

Being a chessplayer, I am somewhat biased; but I think this is one of the best musicals I have ever seen on stage.

Opening Ceremony/The Arbiter:


Nobody's Side:


I Know Him So Well:


One Night In Bangkok:


Pity the Child:


Endgame:


You and I:


No comments: