Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rock You Like A Hurricane

Last night I survived my first hurricane. Hurricane Humberto was only supposed to be a tropical storm, but it picked up power very quickly and strengthened into a Category 1 hurricane. I don't want to find out what a Category 2 will do. The eye of the hurricane passed right by here. The good news is that I ended up on the left side of the eye, which is less damaging than the right side. My RV seems to have escaped relatively unscathed. However, many of my neighbors were not so lucky.

I have to admit, it was downright scary to be inside an RV during a hurricane where the winds were near their top speeds next to the hurricane's eye. We heard this morning that they had clocked winds in excess of 100 mph. I was awakened with a lot of shaking and rocking back and forth at about 2am and could not get back to sleep until after 5am.

When I got up this morning, I joked to my neighbors that we get more warning time of impending tornadoes than they do of sudden hurricanes along the Gulf Coast. And they pass over and leave quicker. And their path of destruction is a lot smaller area.

My post Eye of the Storm was a little bit of a inside hint of where I was headed. I didn't fully expect that I would actually end up right under the eye of an actual storm.

No comments: