Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ice Ice Baby

My yard and driveway (and the road in front of it) is a four-inch-thick solid sheet of ice. It is so thick and solid that even when I drive my car over it, it doesn't give. No tracks even. It is treacherous to walk on. And drive on. Good thing I don't live on a street with a slope.

Now we are being told to expect 8 inches of snow this weekend. Great.

I just went outside and saw that my carport has buckled under the weight of the ice. Had to call the insurance company. Great. That's all I need. At least I have homeowner's insurance. With 8 inches of snow, I have to worry a little about the roof because of the weight. I hope it holds up. We rarely get that much snow at once. Come to think of it, we rarely get that much snow all winter.

What I wouldn't give to be in New Zealand right now. It's summer there. The weather service there says it will reach 23 degrees Celsius with a low of 14C. That's about 75 and 57 Fahrenheit for us Americans.

We could sure use a little more of the "warming" part of Global Warming right about now.

1 comment:

Teri said...

When I was growing up, I can remember just a few times with snow in OKC. Freezing rain is truly nasty stuff. Had a branch from a cottonwood go through the roof of our trailer several years back. It was one of the things that made me move back to town. Fortunately, I just get snow at the new place ;)

Our temperatures are starting to warm out here. I'm guessing that yours will warm up in the next few days. Stay safe!